Copper Patina Home Treatment Process
Fixtures in natural copper and brass are a living finish and are intended to change color or patina over time. To speed up the patina process, use this simple process to get the look you want overnight.
CAUTION SHOULD BE EXERCISED WHEN HANDLING AND APPLYING PATINA SOLUTION –
WEAR GLOVES AND SAFETY GLASSES. FOLLOW SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY ON THE CONTAINERS.
Spread newspaper under plant material to protect it. It is best to install pathlight fixtures first then apply solution. Fixtures should be cleaned to remove oil and dirt with Windex®-type cleaner.
GREEN PATINA FORMULA
2 parts white vinegar
1 1/2 parts non-detergent ammonia
1/2 part non-iodized salt
• Clean fixture with soft cloth Windex®-type cleaner to remove oil and dirt.
• Premix patina solution in Windex-type spray bottle
• Spray Windex® cleaner on fixture to break surface tension, leaving it on when you apply patina solution.
• Apply patina solution by spraying onto fixture, preferably in the early evening on a high humidity night.
• Allow to set for 1 hour, then reapply solution observing where you missed applying on the first coat. If there seems to be oil that is repelling the patina solution, clean it off with the Windex® cleaner.
• Allow to sit overnight.
• The result will be a bright green powdery patina. Do not rub off. In time (and re-applications) this finish will become permanent. The brightness will fade with time. To reduce green, cut back on the salt content. Color and effect is greatly affected by application ambient temperature and humidity.